The Finance Center was established to act as an intermediary between your business and the right funder. Our SBDC Consultants assist our clients through the loan packaging process, then help you assess which lending institution may be the best fit for your needs. Through our network of 100+ financial institutions, our consultants work directly with underwriters to get you a quicker decision on your loan. funding process for our clients and Finance Center Services are:
- Offered at no-cost to you (paid for by your tax dollars)
- Conducted via confidential in-person meetings or video conference calls
- Generally offered to for-profit businesses with less than 500 employees
How it Works
- Let’s Chat! Set up a consultation in person or via Web Meeting with one of our SBDC finance center consultants. It’s Easy – Sign Up Now >>>
- SBDC Follow Up and Document Collection – Next, an SBDC consultant will contact you to walk you through the documents needed to begin the loan packaging process and will request copies as needed. These documents include: tax returns, financial statements, and an explanation for the use of funds. Don’t worry, consultations are confidential and we’re here to help! To get a head start on documents, check out our funding checklist
- Sourcing Potential Funders – To further expedite the decision-making process, your consultant communicates directly with you and the lender’s underwriter or key decision-maker. So it’s really important for you to have your documents together so you receive a quicker response.
- Lender Assessment – Your SBDC consultant will present your potential loan at this stage to the lending institutions that best fit your needs and they will assess their interest in funding.
- Decision – At this stage, the lender decides to either take your loan package, whereby your SBDC consultant stops exploring other lenders, allowing the interested lender seven days to issue a Letter of Intent (LOI) OR if the lender is not interested in the potential loan, the SBDC consultant will continue to review your loan package with other lenders.
What lending institutions does the Finance Center work with?
The Finance Center works with commercial lending, alternative lenders, community banks, public programs and so many more including: SBA lenders, Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFI), non-profits, State Guaranteed Lenders, County, and City Lending Programs. The goal is to find you the best lender for your needs!
Do I have to pay to see an SBDC consultant at the Finance Center?
No way! The Finance Center and our SBDC consultants offer services at no cost, no catch to you. You can expect no bill or charges from us for helping you obtain your funding. You might ask – why is it offered at no cost? Great question! The Finance Center services are funded in part by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), the State of California, California State University, Fullerton and other local institutions to help small businesses like yours start, grow and succeed.
I tried to obtain a loan but was declined. Can I still ask the Finance Center for help with obtaining a loan?
Yes, of course! We’ll walk through your loan documentation, your needs, and your situation to review why you may have been denied. Best of all, we can help provide you with other alternatives for your financing needs or work with you to develop strategies outside of funding that can help. Since we work with many lending institutions all with their own sets of requirements, we can help you explore options that might be a better fit for your business. Our SBDC Consultants will walk through options with you step by step.
What about refinancing, can the Finance Center help?
Yes, your SBDC consultant is happy to sit with you to help review options for refinancing your debt and possibly help you obtain a lower rate. Your sense of urgency is echoed at the SBDC, so we work hard to work with our partners to help get your as quick of a turnaround as possible.
I reviewed your “Funding Checklist” do I really need all of those documents?
Since every case is unique, you might not need ALL of the documents. However, generally our SBDC consultants have collected this list as a go-to when helping business owners prepare their loan packages to provide lending partners the most complete picture about your financing needs to aid them in their decision-making. Don’t fret! Our team can also help you work through some of these items like financial projections, a concise business plan and use of funds narrative. Please keep in mind that we do not obtain tax returns for you. We can, however, request your credit reports if needed.
The items outlined in the funding checklist are used to guide our loan packaging service, but are also required for submitting your package to our lending partners. When we consult our clients, we try to portray the most complete picture for the lending institution, so walk our clients through gathering all of the information outlined in the checklist, so we can ultimately provide our lending partner with all of the information they may require to make the most informed decision regarding your loan.